WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Some 4 million Chinese-made Aqua Dots toys were recalled in the United States because they may contain a chemical which, if swallowed, can lead to a coma or seizures, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said on Wednesday.
The Aqua Dots toy, which made Wal-Mart Stores Inc’s list of top 12 Christmas toys, have been sold at major U.S. retail stores since April.
“The problem is a chemical on the beads,” CPSC spokeswoman Julie Vallese said. “If ingested, it turns into a toxic substance. Children who swallow the beads can become unconscious, have respiratory depression, or seizures.”
Excerpted from another Reuters article:
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said the Aqua Dots toys include a chemical, 1,4 butanediol, which if swallowed can turn toxic and cause unconsciousness, earning it notoriety as a “date rape” drug.